Jamaican rum cake none so yummy
The rum cake is a fixture in our culture especially at Christmas time. This very delicious fruit cake or black cake as it is sometimes called is a spin-off from the English pudding, brought to the island by English settlers in the 1700s.
In fact, the initial recipe was changed by our African ancestors, who were brought to the island as slaves. The English pudding was very compact and the manner by which it was prepare was by using steam.
The very tasty rum cake with its many added ingredients like fruits, nuts and yes, good old white rum, and the way in which it is prepared rather than steaming, it is baked definitely sets this scrumptious cake apart. It's no wonder this cake is a favorite on the island and world renowned.
Ingredients and Baking Instruction
Here are the ingredients you should have in the making of the rum cake.
A medium cake
Baking time: An hour to 80 min.
In the preparation of this fruit cake please get the kids involved. It was a pleasure for me to help my dad prepare this very yummy cake.Yes, my dad was a "super-baker." Hmmm…. I use to like to taste everything while I helped.
Ok! Let’s get down to the meat on how to create this delicious dessert. For best results, fruits should be soaked in rum and wine for two to three weeks or just boil the fruits in wine for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl mix butter and sugar together until it is soft, light and feathery.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, then mix in browning, lime juice, vanilla, rose water, and lime zest.
- Stir in the now soaked fruits with the added rum and wine. Wow! The mixture is coming along just fine.
- Now sift in your flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
- Go ahead! Mix it into a batter. Hey, please don’t mix it too much or your rum cake will turn out too light.
- Grease baking pan with a little butter and flour. Preheat oven to 360 degree F.
- Ready! Pour your mixture in the prepared baking pan and stick it in the oven.
Ok,, wondering what you should do now? Yes, the next hour to 80 min. is a good time to get the kitchen cleaned up. That’s what dad always says.
How do you know when it’s ready? When you stick a knife through the center of your cake pull it out and it is clean. Remove from the oven and sit to cool at room temperature.You can now finish off by decorating your cake with your favorite Icing.
This very rich fruit cake can be preserve for weeks even months by adding extra wine to keep it moist.
The rum cake is usually reserved for special occasion like birthdays, weddings and definitely at Christmas time.
Returning to christmas activities from rum cake